Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Last Meow

Dead cat
wasn't mine.
On the street
quarter til nine.

I got the call
lookin for digits.
Owner of the cat
needs to know
IT was finished.

The owner is waiting,
still has no clue
that their beloved cat
had been shoved
by my shoe.

I just couldn't imagine
the kids walking by,
seeing that cat
then starting to cry.

So out with a shovel,
a bag and flashlight.
The dead weight of that cat
marked the end of my night.



......Yes, a little odd.
Someone ran over a cat
in our neighborhood tonight.
I just stepped up to the plate because
I'm fearless that way.

2 comments:

J. Thorp said...

I'm laughing despite myself.

Can totally relate, having been in a similar spot once ... gotta tell that story sometime

T said...

Please share. It's not every day you'll meet someone who can relate to a "cat shoveling" story. btw...I had to replace the word "kicked" with "shoved". Kicked sounds better, but quite cruel.