Friday, March 5, 2010

huh?

I love the "What did you say?" moments
with a two (almost three) year-old.
Yesterday, I was in the backyard cleaning a vile area of snow, dog urine/poop.
Bug is standing in the back door managing my work.
(She has excellent pronunciation skills, so we rarely misunderstand her.)
She yells to me: "MOM! ARE YOU SUCKLING THE POOP?"
Now, obviously one would think I didn't hear her correctly.
So I ask.
She happily obliges me by asking her question again.
"ARE YOU SUCKLING THAT DOG POOP?"
I'm intrigued, grossed out, and wondering why she thinks people suckle poop.
After the third time that she repeats herself at my request, the lightbulb goes on.
She is pronouncing correctly, she's just used the wrong word.
"No Bug, I'm not suckling dog poop, I'm SHOVELING it!"

This morning I get an unrelated statement from her, repeated again and again on my behalf.
"Mom, When the airplane goes bounce, bounce, bounce up in the sky, it doesn't crap out everywhere. Did you know that?"
...........I'm still flummoxed.

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

If she had flown with me, I'd imagine she'd gotten "crap out" from what I tend to mutter when the plane goes bounce bounce...

J. Thorp said...

Been stewing on that last part all day, and I've got nothing. Glad to hear your voice, though -- and the wee one's, too! Chomp, chomp!

T said...

Thanks for checking in on the crazy pregnant girl from time to time. It's been a long winter.